For the Foodies who ask me about a plate with Uni, here is a recipe from Chef Jose Duarte from Taranta Restaurant in Boston.
Spaghetti with Sea Urchins & Bottarga di Muggine
• 4 Ounces of shelled urchin meat (uni)
• 8 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 5 cloves garlic
• 3 anchovy fillets
• 2 dried hot peppers, crushed
• 1 pound high quality spaghetti
• 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
• 1 tablespoon freshly grated bottarga di muggine
1. In a medium sauté pan, heat 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Lightly crush the garlic cloves keeping them whole. Add the garlic to the pan.
2. Add anchovy fillets to the sautéing garlic.
3. Crush the hot chili peppers between your fingers and sprinkle into the pan.
4. Saute stirring frequently, until garlic turns golden.
5. Remove from heat and seat aside.
6. Bring a generous amount of water to a boil and cook the pasta until is almost al dente.
7. Drain the pasta, reserving ½ cup of the pasta water.
8. Place the pan with the garlic back over high heat.
9. Add the pasta and toss to coat.
10. Add the reserved pasta water and the sea urchins, toss well to combine.
11. When the water has evaporated and the sea urchin meat has dissolved to a buttery texture, season to taste with salt, add the parsley and the remaining 4 tablespoons of olive oil.
12. Grate one tablespoon of Bottarga over the pasta using a small cheese grater, toss well and serve immediately